A nine-year-old girl has died after her mother applied a pesticide, Sniper, on her hair in an effort to combat lice infestation.
While addressing Journalists yesterday, a paediatrician at the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital, Dr Gloria Nwosu, disclosed this in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
She said the mother of the girl had been advised to apply the pesticide on the head of both her daughters ages nine and four, to kill lice on them.
Nwosu said, “Their mother felt that the hairdresser would know what to do since it has to do with lice. We did everything we could to bring the child back to normal, but it was all abortive.
“She (the deceased) was very sick. The second child slumped in our presence and we immediately admitted her and gave her an antidote. So, the question now is how many of these children may have gone through this?
“It affected her brain because she convulsed for over two hours. Now, there is something we do to check for oxygen saturation; it remained low. It never went back to normal. Then they can have something coming out from their mouth. This child kept pouring out saliva. It never went off until she passed on.
“They also have high blood pressure. This child’s blood pressure was high. We saw all those symptoms on this child.”