Breaking: Lagos Explosion: One additional body recovered

*LASG commences enumeration/verification exercise of victims

Following the last Sunday incident that rendered some Lagosian homeless, along with 20 dead, rescuers at the scene of Abule-Ado pipeline explosion has recovered an additional body of a male casualty.

The male body was recovered at about 8am today.

Confirming the development, the Director General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu said the additional body brings the total number of fatalities to 21.

He said out of the 468 victims displaced as a result of the explosion, 100 have been moved to the relief camp while two are missing.

READ ALSO: Lagos explosion: Death toll now 20

The Director General said the help desk at the scene of the emergency remains manned and the personnel are available to manage enquiries.

He said, “our personnel are on ground to arrange transfer to the LASEMA relief camp for those who have need of shelter and food,”
He appealed to members of the public to keep off the scene to enable for a thorough rescue operations.

“We appeal for calm and urge members of the public to keep away from the scene as we continue to provide updates.” He added.

Meanwhile, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, while conducting an on-the-spot assessment of the situation on Monday, announced the setting up of a N2 billion Relief Fund for the victims. He also announced N250 million donation by the Lagos State Government as capital base for the take off of the fund.

On the first day of occurrence, 17 bodies were recovered, while three more were recovered on Monday and one more recovered on Thursday, at press time.

The Director General of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed the latest recovered casualty, which had been taken to the mortuary by the officials of Lagos State Ambulance Service, LASAMBUS.

READ ALSO: Lagos Explosion: Senate begins probe, set up committees

Other rescue team, includes: National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, both Federal and State Fire Services, Nigerian Police, the military, the Red Cross, Lagos Neighborhood Safety Corps, LNSC, Special Taskforce, among others.

It was gathered that over 100 out of about 500 displaced people are currently being accommodated at the state’s Emergency Relief Camp, Igando, Ikotun-Igando Local Council Development Area, LCDA.

Meanwhile, the state government officials have commenced verification exercise of victims and affected properties for compensation purposes

The exercise which began at exactly 12 noon on Thursday, had over N300 victims jostling to be verified by officials of LASEMA.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.