Fear returned to parts of Sokoto State over the weekend after suspected Lakurawa terrorists reportedly ambushed Nigerian soldiers in Runji village, near Illela Local Government Area.

What began as a military offensive against a terrorist hideout allegedly ended in bloodshed, confusion and painful losses for the Nigerian Army.
Residents say the attack has once again exposed the dangerous realities facing troops battling armed groups in Nigeria’s North-West.
A Military Raid That Turned Deadly
According to local sources, the soldiers had earlier launched an aggressive operation against a suspected Lakurawa camp around the Illela axis on Saturday evening.
The troops reportedly stormed the hideout with three military vehicles in what witnesses described as a fierce assault that forced the armed fighters to retreat.
For many residents, it appeared the military had gained the upper hand.
But the story was far from over.
The Mechanical Fault That Changed Everything
On their way back to base, one of the military vehicles reportedly developed a mechanical problem near Runji village, about 10 kilometres from Illela town.
That single breakdown may have changed the entire outcome of the operation.
Sources claimed some soldiers stopped to repair the faulty vehicle while others remained on alert, unaware that danger was already closing in around them.
What happened next has left the community shaken.
Terrorists Allegedly Returned for Revenge
Residents alleged that the terrorists regrouped after the earlier raid and secretly trailed the soldiers.
According to eyewitness accounts, about 30 motorcycles carrying heavily armed fighters suddenly stormed the area.
Each motorcycle reportedly carried three gunmen.
The attackers allegedly surrounded the stranded troops before opening fire in what witnesses described as a brutal and coordinated ambush.
“The gun battle was intense and frightening,” one source reportedly said.
For villagers nearby, the sound of gunfire shattered the silence of the evening.
Soldiers Forced to Retreat on Foot
Another source claimed the soldiers eventually abandoned the damaged vehicle and attempted to return to base on foot.
They were reportedly being led through the terrain by a local civilian guide familiar with the area.
But before they could escape, the attackers allegedly struck again.
According to multiple accounts, several soldiers and the civilian guide were killed during the ambush.
Confusion Over Death Toll
Conflicting reports have continued to emerge over the exact number of casualties.
Some residents claimed seven soldiers lost their lives.
Others insisted that seven soldiers and one civilian guide were killed during the attack.
Another eyewitness alleged that six bodies were initially recovered, while the remains of another soldier were discovered in a nearby bush the following day.
The uncertainty surrounding the casualty figures has only deepened public anxiety.
Senior Officer Allegedly Among Victims
Local sources also claimed that a senior military officer, reportedly a lieutenant, was among those killed.
Although authorities have not officially confirmed the identities of the victims, security insiders acknowledged that the attack resulted in painful military losses.
A senior military officer, who spoke anonymously, reportedly confirmed that six soldiers died during the incident.
Military Responds With Fresh Operations
Following the attack, security forces are said to have deployed tactical reinforcements across the affected area.
Military authorities say intelligence-driven operations are ongoing to hunt down those responsible.
The Army also appealed to the media and the public to avoid spreading unverified casualty figures until families of the slain soldiers are formally informed.
But beyond official statements lies a more troubling question Nigerians continue to ask:
How long will troops continue to fight deadly groups with limited protection in isolated rural communities?
A Region Living Under Fear
The latest attack is another grim reminder of the growing insecurity across parts of Sokoto State.
Communities in Illela, Tangaza, Binji and Gudu have repeatedly faced deadly attacks linked to Lakurawa fighters.
While security forces continue to record tactical victories, armed groups still appear capable of regrouping and launching deadly reprisals.
You May Like: Nigeria vs ISWAP: Inside The Deadly Metele Airstrike Operation
For many Nigerians, the Sokoto ambush raises uncomfortable questions about intelligence failures, military logistics and the evolving tactics of terrorist networks operating in the North-West.
The Story Behind The Ambush
Every ambush tells a deeper story.
Not just about bullets and battlefields, but about abandoned communities, exhausted soldiers and a nation still struggling to fully secure its territory.
The tragedy in Runji is not merely another headline.
It is a painful reflection of a war that refuses to end — and a reminder that behind every casualty figure are families waiting for loved ones who may never return home.

