More troubles for Nigeria as 17 COVID-19 patients died in one day, total infections now 2,388

In the last 24 hours, seventeen persons have reportedly died of Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in Nigeria, even as Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reports 220 new cases across nineteen states in the country.

A breakdown of the new cases on May 2nd 2020, put Lagos at the top of  the list with sixty-two new cases followed by FCT with 52 new cases.

Other states with new cases according to the agency include Kaduna with thirty one, Sokoto with thirteen, Kebbi with ten, Yobe with nine Bornu with six. Edo and Bauchi with five each, while Gombe, Enugu and Oyo four each. Zamfara has three, while Nassarawa, Osun Ebonyi, Kwara, Kano and Plateau has two each.

“Two cases previously reported in Katsina were repeat tests. Therefore, as at 11:55pm May 2 2020, Katsina State has a total of 38 confirmed cases

“As at 11:55 pm 2nd May there are 2388 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Nigeria,” NCDC said.

READ ALSO: 4-year-old tests positive for COVID-19 in Bauchi

Meanwhile a total of 385 patients have recovered from Covid-19 in various isolation centers within the country has been discharged while 85 deaths have been recorded across the country.

16 health workers infected with COVID-19

Also, the Borno Government says no fewer than 16 health workers have been infected with COVID-19 since the outbreak of the disease in the state.

The state’s Commissioner for Health, Dr Salisu Kwaya-Bura, made this known on Saturday in Maiduguri, during the daily media briefing on the pandemic, organised by the State Response Team on COVID-19.

Kwaya-Bura said the development showed the increasing risks being faced by health workers in the fight against coronavirus.

He, however, said urgent measures were being taken to protect the health workers, adding that about 2,000 Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), had been ordered by the state.

The commissioner, who is the Secretary of the team, said a total of 69 people were infected with COVID-19 in the state, out of which nine had died.

“At the moment, none of our patients is at a critical state.

“They are at the isolation centres receiving medical attention; though the kind of attention varies for those with mild symptoms and those with moderate symptoms,” Kwaya-Bura said.

He also announced that the team had increased its contact tracing and surveillance groups to 25, where 20 of them were out for tracing and five were respondents to alerts.

Earlier, Chairman of the team, who is also the state’s Deputy Governor, Alhaji Umar Kadafur, said the inability of the team to brief the media on Thursday and Friday, was due to its busy schedule, part of which was the effort to expand the capacity of the state’s isolation centre.

Kadafur also disclosed that the government was making plans to expand the 100-bed capacity isolation centre to between 500 and 1000 bed capacity.

He urged the public to observe all precautionary measures against COVID-19, particularly staying at home, Physical distancing, wearing of mask and regular washing of hand.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.