How Nigerian Air force accidentally bombs village in Borno, terminate lives

Nigerian Air Force on Monday, accidentally fired a bomb on Sakotoku village in Damboa local government area of Borno state, destroying lives and properties of residents of the community.
It was gathered that no fewer than 17 bodies have been recovered after the strike.
The 17 bodies crushed by the fighter jet belonging to the Nigerian Air Force included women and children who were said to be playing under mango trees.

READ ALSO: Boko Haram: Finally, Army Chief Buratai relocates to North East

The air force, military sources said, that they got information that Boko Haram insurgents were gathering around the village on Thursday afternoon.
The supposed target, according to a source, was an area in Korongilum, a neighbouring village 12 kilometres away where suspected Boko Haram insurgents had gathered earlier.
“We do not know if they didn’t communicate well with the land troops as the air force jet fired that bomb on the village.
“Seventeen people were killed, mostly women and their children playing under mango trees. Many were also injured and have been taken to the 25 army brigade in Damboa, and those with critical injuries were taken to Maiduguri,”  sources told our reporter.
Some of the villagers whose houses were destroyed have found their way to Damboa.
In February, residents of Garkida, Adamawa state and Korongilum, Borno state, had alleged that NAF fighter jets refused to open fire on suspected Boko Haram insurgents when they attacked their communities.
Ibikunle Daramola, NAF spokesperson, had then said then they could not engage the insurgents because the situation in Garkida was chaotic, and that they took the measure so they would not hit civilians.
In 2017, 126 civilians were killed in Rann, Borno state, in an accidental air-strike by the military.
When contacted about the incident in Sakotoku, Daramola said: “It’s a matter of operation” and the defence headquarters would be in a better position to speak on the matter.”
Both Onyema Nwachukwu and John Enenche, defence headquarters spokespersons, were not reachable for comment as they neither responded to calls nor replied text messages.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.