#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu okays N200m compensation fund for victims

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu during engagement with EndSARS protesters at the Lagos House of Assembly gate, Alausa, Ikeja on Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020.

The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Tuesday disclosed that it government is setting up N200 million fund to compensate families of victims of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) killings.

Sanwo-Olu made this announcement while addressing the EndSARS protesters at the Lagos House of Assembly gate, Alausa, Ikeja.

The compensation fund will be completely supervised by Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) appointed by members of the public.

Sanwo-Olu called on the protesters to send the list of everyone that had fatal encounters with SARS in Lagos.

He said that the government would identify the families and ensure that they were compensated.

READ ALSO: #EndSars: President Buhari agrees on 5-Point demand by protesters

The governor said that he fully identified with the EndSARS struggle, knowing that many youths had been battered, and he felt their pain.

He said that in fulfilment of one of the requests made by the protesters, all those arrested had been released without any condition.

Sanwo-Olu further promised to convey the requests of the protesters to President Muhammadu Buhari, some of which are increment in police salary, as well as Justice for those killed by the Police.

Recall that the governor, on Monday, addressed some of the protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate where he expressed solidarity with them.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.