*14 Nigerian returnee students in Lagos Isolation centre for test
*Considering placing curfew in the state
*Ikeja, Eti-Osa councils lead in highest cases of suspects
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has on Friday, disclosed that the administration might likely shutdown the state totally soon if the cases of people testing positive for Coronavirus, COVID-19 continue in the state
While addressing newsmen on the update of COVID-19 management in the state on Friday, at Lagos House, Marina, Lagos Island, Sanwo-Olu stated that the state government was moving in the direction of total shutdown once a particular figure was arrived at, but he did not disclose the figure.
According to him, “We are moving in the direction of curfew soon, there are numbers we need to see before that will happen but we have not seen that yet.
“Residents of Lagos State should stay indoor if they are not on essential services. We do not want to shutdown the state’s economy totally, but once that certain figure was reached, government would have no option than to shutdown the state.”
The governor, added that at press time, Lagos had recorded 44 confirmed cases so far, while three people had been discharged.
Sanwo-Olu lamented that there had been increase in confirmed cases which had reached 44, with six additional cases recorded in a vessel in Lagos on Thursday.
He said with three people already discharged, the government was looking at discharging five or six more patients who had now tested negative.
Sanwo-Olu said once they recorded a confirmatory negative test, they would be discharged which is likely to be Friday night or Saturday.
The governor, also disclosed that 14 Nigerian students who were stranded at the land border have been rescued by the state and immediately taken to Isolation Centres for test to determine their status and if found negative would be allowed to join their family who had already been contacted.
He however, noted that Ikeja and Eti-Osa Local Government Areas have the highest cases of suspects undergoing tests at isolation centres in the state.
According to the governor, the stimulus, which will come in food packs, to be distributed to each 57 local government areas in the state, aimed at cushioning the effect of the 14 days stay-at-home directive.
Earlier, the governor had conducted an on-the-spot assessment of one of the State-owned food banks, located inside the premises of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives in Agege.
Sanwo-Olu said the economic stimulus will reduce the burden of the temporary economic downturn on the citizens caused by the outbreak of COVID-19.
The governor said the food packs, which were put together by the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives will reach the most vulnerable communities and households across Lagos, saying that the indigents who rely on daily wages will be given priority.
The governor stated that the package will touch at least 200,000 households in the first phase, saying the food packs are produced for a size of six people per household and would last for at least 14 days.