Six travellers returning from Egypt has been diagnosed with coronavirus, bringing the tally to eight.
It was gathered that the Egyptian authorities have been testing staff at the site where tourists later diagnosed with the novel coronavirus had stayed before returning to France, Egypt’s prime minister said Saturday.
According to the Egyptian premier Mostafa Madbouli, Cairo had been informed of the cases, “part of a tourist group visiting in Egypt between February 5-16”.
“Workers at the site where the group stayed have been tested” for the virus, the statement said without revealing its location.
Egypt’s vital tourism industry has suffered multiple shocks since the 2011 uprising that toppled longtime dictator Hosni Mubarak.
It has in recent years shown signs of recovery, with authorities playing up improved security and touting archeological discoveries.
Coronavirus cases have been confirmed in 59 countries, killing more than 2,900 people and infecting over 85,000 since the first case was detected in China late last year.
On Thursday, Egypt’s health ministry announced the “recovery” of the country’s only detected case.