Canada soccer issued a statement after Moise Bombito shared racial abuse he received on social media after Copa America opener.

Canada Probes Racist Abuse Directed Against Star Bombito
Racism

Canada Soccer said they were in touch with the sport’s governing bodies after the defender received racist abuse online after Argentina defeated Canada 2-0 on Thursday evening.

Argentina’s victory with goals from Julián Álvarez and Lautaro Martínez gave the defending champions three points, while Canadian squad are bottom of Group A.

Advertisement

Posting on social media after the match, Bombito wrote: “My beautiful Canada,” adding “No room for that bs.”

The young defender took the high road, despite abusive comments on his social page.

Earlier this week, FIFA said its social media tools designed to protect players from online abuse would be available to all 211 member associations and their teams.

“Canada Soccer is aware of and deeply disturbed by racist comments made online and directed at one of our men’s national team players following tonight’s match,” it said in a statement.

Read more: Messi Responds To Breaking More Records

However, they will return to the pitch on June 25 where they take on Peru in game two of the Group Stage.

Bombito and and Canada will be searching for their first three points of the tournament.

Advertisements

Rivers Crisis:Fubara Considers Setting Up Parallel Secretariats

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.